Groundworkers and plant operators prepare a site prior to and during the building process. They ensure that the infrastructure to a building site is completed. Groundworkers ensure that every plot and dwelling on a development has adequate foundations, drainage, water and electrical connections. The team will also work on driveways, paths, roads and public open spaces on a development.
Typical tasks include:
- Excavating and building the foundations.
- Controlling dumper trucks, mobile elevated work platforms, cranes, compactors, excavators.
- Moving waste with machines
- Redirecting waterways
- Installing services and drainage to houses
- Concreting site areas and laying kerbs, flagstones and constructing roads.
- Newly trained groundworkers/plant operators can earn in the region of £20,000-£23,000.
- Trained with experience groundworkers/plant operators can earn in the region of £26,000-48,000.
- Specialist plant groundworkers/ operators can earn in the region of £62,000-80,000.
Earnings typically depend on location, employer, the stage of your training, your hours worked and the opportunity to work overtime. Please also note that the pay rate figures have come from a variety of reliable sources including:
- National Home Builders
- Home Builder's Sub-Contractors
- The Home Builders Federation
- Construction Recruitment Agencies
Qualifications we offer:
- Apprenticeship in Groundworks which currently includes a Diploma and NVQ at Level 2 (Or Scottish Equivalent)
Some of our trades have the opportunity to become "self-employed" where rates of pay will vary depending on your hours and productivity. In addition, all of our trade roles have the opportunity to progress and train as a construction site manager for a house building company. Job Titles May vary write a better senstances The jobs outlined on this webste occur throughout the home building industry, but please note that actual job titles may vary slightly from one organisation to another.
Earn While You Learn:
All our featured job roles offer an entry-point for school leavers to commence a career in the industry, particularly in site trades, where you will normally enrol for an apprenticeship. Site Management [Engineering] and Quantity Surveying also offer opportunities for college-leavers and graduates as well as school leavers.
For most jobs, depending on your qualifications and experience there are also openings for those looking to change career. This is particularly so in Sales, where your previous work experience in a customer-facing role will be just as relevant as any academic qualification.
Key job roles
Below are a few (of many) house building jobs which we looking to recruit in the home building industry. Click on each one to find out more.
Chose a region below and view construction companies in that region.
Chose a region to the leftabove and view construction companies in that region.