Job Title: Graduate Civil Engineer
Employer: Crest Nicholson PLC
Job: Graduate Civil Engineer
About my job
What does your department do?
The Strategic technical team facilitate large scale strategic projects by providing key infrastructure, services and landscaping.
What do you do on a day-to-day basis?
- Coordinate and liaise with professional consultants, contractors and operating regions to manage the delivery of large scale projects focusing on presentation and Sales & Marketing.
- Critique designs from consultants and challenge decisions as well as input new solutions.
- Assist with planning applications for new developments which involves submitting reserved matters applications and working with local councils on technical approvals for key infrastructure elements.
- Discharging planning conditions to ensure compliance with planning consents
- Assisting in writing and accumulating information needed for technical packs to facilitate internal and external serviced land parcel sales.
- Gaining an understanding of contracts e.g. adoption agreements and planning agreements, cash flows and budgets.
- Preparing tender packs for contractors
- Consulting and managing relationships with Local Planning Authorities
What do you like about what you do?
I face something new and challenging every day which keeps me on my toes. I like that it’s not solely an office based role and I am able to visit site and see first-hand what I am helping to create. It is a rewarding experience to see something you’ve helped design become implemented and develop into places where people want to live.
Why did you choose this career?
I always enjoyed maths and physics at school which fuelled my interest in engineering. I was always curious about the built environment and was interested in creating sustainable places for communities to live. I also have a strong desire to represent women in the construction industry.
What qualifications did you need to get this job?
A degree in a construction related discipline; for example civil engineering, project management or construction management.
Is there any particular advice you would give to someone looking for a career in your area of work?
To keep up to date with changes within the construction industry, this is helpful for interview stages and also throughout your career. I would advise to try and get a broad range of experience at the early stages of your career so you can decide what you enjoy.
Questions & Answers
What hobbies or interests do you have?
Photography and watching films
What’s your favourite type of music?
What’s your favourite film / film genre?
Lord of the Rings
Where’s your favourite place to go on holiday?